• Join Home Gardening Forum

kiwi

M

majorcatfish

for those of you who live in zones 7-10 heres something to think about planting...
hayward kiwi....... last year was our best ever harvest 63 lbs of those fuzzy gems.
DSC_0001 - Copy (2) (640x426).jpg
had a few the tipped the scales at a quarter pound each.
DSC_0001 - Copy (4) (640x426).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
E

ErnieCopp

I had no idea they would grow in that cold weather. I like one once in a whille but not enough to grow them.

M

majorcatfish

they grow quite well here, the only drawback is when you get the first hard frost that's it time to harvest, we usually
get our first hard frost sometime in November.
after pruning the blackberries sunday, checked out the kiwi looks like they handled the arctic winter we have had.
but we shall see this spring...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I like them once in a while too, although my wifes like them much more than I do.

Have you ever tried making kiwi wine catfish???

M

majorcatfish

yes we have, last sat the wife picked up a couple books on wine making. she really wants to make blackberry wine this summer and if the kiwi does well again she wants to try kiwi wine this fall possibly a blackberry/kiwi wine...don't know how frozen berries will work.

last year we gave a majority of them as holiday presents to friends, dried some their not bad that way.
and yes i can eat them all day once they are ripe...

Last edited by a moderator:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Let us know how the kiwi wine turns out.

Blackberry wine (at least mine) is pretty sweet... almost syrup like, when it is young. But let it get some age on it & it is great. I finish a bottle that was about 6 years old a while back & I was like WOW!!!

Fig wine is fantastic. I've also made watermelon wine but to be honest it was so-so... had a lack of character to me. Our mainstay wine is made from wild Mustang grapes, which is also much better with some age on it.