• Join Home Gardening Forum

Need flowers that "spring" back

R

Rolex

We're putting in a circular garden surrounded by a brick walkway with a bird bath in the center. What we want to do is start a Memorial garden for our tenants to remember their neighbors, rather than sending cut flowers to the funeral when we don't know the families. We will be adding a new plant with each passing.
I need some info on which flowers come back on their own in the spring and will look their best at varying times of the growing season.
Reasonably mild winters here in East Tennessee, but it will dip into single digits on occasion during the night.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
How are you doing the garden? Will it be a different kind of plant for each person or the same kind for each?

Daffodils would make a great flower to use, they handle heat and drought well. Both of which can be an issue in that TN weather.

R

Rolex

Thanks, Mike. Daffodils would probably be perfect. There are several little plots around outside light posts that are filled with them and it's always nice to see them bloom first thing in the spring.
Unfortunately, we need one now.

E

ErnieCopp

Rolex.
The most flowers i have gotten for my money are from Cosmos, They grow between 2 and 4 feet tall, are coverd with pretty blossoms of different colors, millions of seeds that lesser gold finch and other similar sized birds like, and my wife said they used to reseed every Spring for her. I do not know the cold tolerance, but since they are annuals, i do not think that is very important. They have a long blooming period here, too.

Ernie

R

Rolex

Cosmos...Haven't heard that name before but I sure will look into them. Thanks.

E

ErnieCopp

002.JPG 002.JPG Rolex,
I took a couple of pictures for you. I had not heard of them either until Linda told me of them. I am trying to make topsoil out of fill sand and adobe in that area, and i got a little too much fertilizer on the cosmos, i think. They were shorter last year, with stronger stems. I will try to attach the pictures.

M

Mr_Yan

I have plantings of white daisies and purple cone flowers. I don't know the exact cultivators as I got these as divisions from my neighbors. The only maintenance I do on these is dead-heading.

The other one that I like is Liatris. These give you a purple bottle brush looking spike.

What about some Asiatic lilies?

R

Rolex

We're certainly open to any variety that will 'spring' back every year.
Thanks for the photos, Ernie. They're real beauties.
Mr_Yan, I'll check out the ones you suggested. Thanks for that.

E

ErnieCopp

Rolex, I do not know how many will sprout but there were thousands of seeds laying on the asphalt next to them this morning.

I drip irriegate, but am going to water with a hose, two, to see if some sprout. The top of the soil is dry with just the drip.

Ernie