• Join Home Gardening Forum

Pine Sub Floor Finishing

M

Mr_Yan

The last rooms in our house to get finished are the two in the finished attic. One's a bedroom and one is a pass-thru / storage / catch all. We've re-done the walls and gabled ceiling leaving the floor for last. The floor is or was carpet that has been down for at least a decade and in BAD shape. The quotes we got for installed wall to wall carpet were coming in at $1200+ and this didn't include removal and haul away. $1200 is rediculus for about 500 square feet of something I hate to start with.

Thinking I would save the cost of the removal of the old junk I started to rib out what was there exposing the ~90 year old pine tongue and groove sub floor.

The pine floor actually looked pretty good.

So I hit it with a sander as a test and we liked the look. It kind of fell into the pallet wood look that is popular right now. Then I spent about 10 hours pulling over a pound of nails and staples from at least four colours of carpet installed up there.

I also bought a small shop vac to attach to my sander and a bunch of sand paper.

And kept sanding...

This is the bare floor.

I am now two coats into the five coast I need of the clear finish. For finish I am using Varathane brand Water Based Floor Finish. This is the satin version of what I put in our kitchen (high gloss in there) a few years ago and I really like this product. The application is much more forgiving than oil based polyurethane and is dry to the touch and ready to re-coat in about 2 hours.

I still have the second room to work on and will have to carpet the stairs somehow. I concede carpet on the stairs as I want the traction it offers verses finished interior wood.

M

Mr_Yan

Oh yeah, while doing much of this work I have been listening to Revolutionary Summer: The Birth of American Independence by Joseph J. Ellis. It was about a 7 hour listen.

This was a cool read / listen as it is the first source I've found that overlays the work in the American Continental Congress with the campaign by the Continental Army under Washington in New York against the British Army and Navy under the Howe brothers.

My biggest complaint was with the narrator. He's a great audio book narrator but he was the reader for the Ender's Game series I listened to and it was hard to divorce the two worlds with the same voice.

M

Mr_Yan

I put the final coat on this room Sunday afternoon.

Now I have to get the crap out of the other room upstairs and start the process all over again.

E

ErnieCopp

I agree, it looks better than anything new you could have put down.

Ernie

M

Mr_Yan

Thanks @ErnieCopp and @w_r_ranch

We really like how it turned out. It makes it a really cool space upstairs I am thinking about moving my wing-back chair up there as a reading place.

We don't really have time to sit back and enjoy it though. I have to start the other room up there in hopes that we can move kid-1's bedroom up there in December. I have the whole process to start over.

First I have to find the floor in the room.