• Join Home Gardening Forum

Plastic bottle container

E

Ella Rollins

Hello all,

We were cleaning our garden yesterday as it is already time for fall. While cleaning we found lot of plastic bottles in our backyard shed. We know that plastic bottles are not very safe and easy to dispose. We got few creative ideas to use up the plastic bottles in an online article http://www.gorillabins.ca/blog/seven-innovative-ideas-for-recycling-plastic-bottle/.. It was really very innovative. So we used almost most of the plastic bottles as plant containers, lamp and pen holders. Which plants can be grown in plastic bottle containers?? I'll be hanging them near my windows, so I would like to know the best plants that can be grown in small containers. Any suggestions regarding this are greatly accepted. Thanks in advance.

M

Mr_Yan

Depends on the size of the plastic bottle container. If you're talking 2 liters then most small annuals could work.One plant per container of things like beet, spinach, or lettuce some to mind. I've seen many examples of sub-irrigated containers or dutch bucket style hydroponic containers.

Smaller than 2 liter (500 ml or 20 oz) is too small and you'll just fight with it the whole time

I've never bothered with these though (1) it would mean buying something in a PET bottle (2) even the 2 liter bottle is small and just becomes a pain to maintain.

E

Ella Rollins

Thank you all for your suggestion.. Most of the bottles are 2 liters I guess, so shall I grow lettuce like plants in them??