• Join Home Gardening Forum

Really fun hunt with my son

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
A couple weeks ago I took my kids (age 3 and 6) to our property to hang out while i did a little bow hunting. Saturday morning I shot a spike. Went back to camp and got my son and daughter to come help blood trail it. My son is obsessed with the outdoors and is a great blood tracker. LOL!. It didn't take long for them to locate the deer.

Saturday evening my son wanted to go sit in the stand with me. I had my doubts that he could sit still, but agreed to take him. We went to a spot near a corn feeder hoping to see some animals. He got on my back piggyback style and up the tree we went. It wasn't long before we started seeing deer. He wanted me to shoot every one of them, but I held off. Finally a perfect shooter 6 point cull buck came in. I took the shot and off ran the deer. My son says "what did you do that for!?!?". He had thought I missed because it ran off. LOL. I had to explain that they don't drop in their tracks when shot with a bow.

So we wait a while and get down just before dark. As I am gathering up all my stuff I hear the hogs coming in. I tell my son to be quiet and we might get a hog too. Well he is scared to death. We are on the ground and hogs coming right at us. He is literally crying saying "hold me. I want to get back in the tree" LOL!!! I tell him to BE QUIET it will be ok. Next thing I know there are about 12 hogs all within 15 yards right in front of us. My son has tears running down his face....I am on one knee, draw my bow back, my son is behind me trying to climb on my shoulders, I take the shot and hit one and then hogs are squealing running in all directions. One small hog came right at us and passed about 3 yards to our left.... my son IS on my shoulders now. HAHA!

What a hunt!! My shot on the 6 point was marginal, so we went to camp to have dinner and give the deer some time to expire. By the time we were ready to go find the deer and hog, it was getting late and my son was tired so he didn't get to go on the retrieve. I found the hog and the deer and then got back to camp and my son was already asleep so he wasn't able to get in the pictures.

Oh one more thing. I didn't know this until I checked my trail cameras the following week, but I got a picture of a deer running off in a cloud of dust. Im wondering what scared the deer? Then I look in the background of the picture and see my sons blue shirt in the tree. Its pretty darn neat that the camera captured almost the exact moment we shot the deer. You can see him up there sitting between my legs just after I released the arrow.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but this is a hunt I will remember forever.

Zoomed in close up you can see us in the tree better

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Good looking catch. One of these days I'd like to get into bow hunting, I'd be lucky to hit the broadside of a barn now. :)

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
Great hunt with the kiddos! - Congrats!
I'm off to the woods this weekend with my 2 boys - hopefully we can put something in the freezer!

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Just thought Id put this in an old thread instead of a new one. I gotta brag on my pup that has been tearing up my yard and garden. :)

He's a tracking dog called a Lacy. We are bowhunters and are always trailing deer. Well now I have a tool to assist me in doing that. He's only 4 months old and had his first recovery a couple weeks ago. It was a 90 yard blood trail and he did great! Found the deer and went straight for the arrow wound and started trying to rip meat off. Im pretty proud of him. We've been training pretty hard.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Nice pup!!!

Been hunting but have only seen a few deer (nothing worth getting dirty for). Some days I see nothing, not even a coon (neither have the neighbors)... I believe the cat is around.