• Join Home Gardening Forum

Shrimp Cocktail

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I got this recipe from a friend & it's so good I thought I'd share it, as it is the perfect of a summer-time meal... Cool & spicy!!! It does make a big bowl, although that shouldn't be a problem because your family will want to finish the leftovers the next day.

3 Pounds peeled, deveined shrimp *
1/2 Purple onion, diced
1 White onion, diced
1 Bunch green onion, diced
1 Green bell pepper, diced
3-4 Jalapenos, seed & diced
4 Red sauce tomatoes, diced
3 Avocados, roughly chopped
Cilantro to taste, chopped
3-4 Garlic cloves, minced
Salt & pepper to taste
1 1/2 Cups ketchup
1/2 cup Valentina hot sauce **

* Fresh Shrimp Sizes: Extra large = 21 to 25count/pound Large = 31 to 35 count/pound
** To get the correct flavor you must use this brand.

Put everything (except the avocados & shrimp) in large bowl and squeeze the juice of 2 limes unto mixture.

Now it’s time to get the shrimp ready. Bring about 2 quarts of water to a boil after adding the garlic, salt, pepper and vegetables leftovers (the trimmed off parts) . Now add the shrimp for about 3-4 minutes (don’t overcook them!!!). Remove shrimp & cool them in an ice water bath to stop the cooking process.

Save about 1/2 cup shrimp/vegetable stock and cool. Then add the cooled stock to above mixture & mix well.

Add the shrimp to the mixture & stir to combine. Put the resulting mixture in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Just before serving, add the avocados (being careful not mash up avocados to badly when mixing).

Serve with tortilla chips & lime wedges on the side to squeeze on each chip (the limes are what really sets the flavors off). Enjoy!!!

Shrimp Cocktail.jpg

1115-2T.jpg

Last edited:

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
Hmmm 122 acres owned 180 acres on 99 year lease, 1 house, 4 cabins, 7 acre island but i'm keeping my wife! lmfao

K

ksk

Ranch thinking about making the above shrimp recipe but serving it hot over rice with french bread.