• Join Home Gardening Forum

The honey bee and the bird bath

M

Melissa

I wanted to share a lovely story of some very hard working girls that stop by my deck for a cool drink. Today the temp got up to 103 when I last checked the weather station. But my deck only got to about 99. The bird bath has had lots of honey bees visiting. I am very happy to provide these work horses of the pollinating world a drink. 001.JPG

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 0
R

Rolex

There's a serious problems with bee colonies disappearing for the last few years. We need to do everything we can to make those little guys happy.

M

mountain man

I ordered a hive. They are having trouble, hope a cure can be found.

valley

N

Northernfox

the issue was likely caused by these Bee trucks running up and down the continent helping with fertilization. the issue with something like that and a genetically un-diverse species like Bees is a simple disease can be spread much faster then in nature. unfortunately nature was not able to react fast enough to the one that whipped them out last year.

the good news is people like us do what we can to help them out. the other good thing to know is pollination of most of our crops is self fertile or done by many insects. the larger squash and such require some love from us.

If I cant eat it it has to flower to be in my yard. I do the flowers to help the pollinators and provide some color ;)

M

Melissa

I do not know if this is a 'domestic' bee or a wild one. In the hot days I have them visiting in the evening. One of the reason have some cut flowers floating in the water along with a pile of lava rocks. The poor things can not swim. And I happen to love honey, so I must also show the love to the honey bee.

N

Northernfox

I happened to be out this morning in my garden and saw a few enjoying my flowers :)

I am sure in this heat by now they have run away :)