• Join Home Gardening Forum

Time for a new grill. Requesting input

J

Jasoniller

Hi,everyone. My grill is approaching 14 years old, and I’m at the point of not wanting to put any more money into it. The fact that some parts are no longer available factored in to the decision.

There are two points I’d like some input on:
1. To buy cheap, or quality
2. What to buy (if buying quality)

I’d like to mention that although I’m not made of money, our daughter is now self sufficient and the Bank of Mom and Dad now has some extra disposable money available. I’m also of the belief of “buy once, cry once”, and to be quite honest I’ve now been around half a century, and feel it’s appropriate to splurge on ourselves.
After reading the last paragraph it will seem contradictory that my first point is to buy cheap, or quality. I’m only asking because my current grill has lasted 14years (including a 5 continuous day run time when I forgot to turn it off....it’s my first natural gas grill) it’s a centro, and was not expected to last much longer tha 4-5 years.
Do I really NEED to buy quality after all? Did I luck out and buy a reverse lemon?
Life has taught me to buy quality, but my experience with this grill has my perplexed.
Point 2, what do I buy? I really, really wanted a Weber genesis. My wife’s sister has one. It’s fantastic. Traditional Weber , extra sear burner, you know, the usual.
I’m not sure what’s happening at Weber, maybe the kids took over or something but the “new” genesis in my opinion was not the correct move for Weber. I’m sorry if I offend any Weber owners. Their warranties have been lowered. My experience is that this is usually not a good thing for consumers.
Next up is broil king. I’d be looking at a Regal, or Soverign. Guys at work have them, and like them. They seem well built, and as a bonus, made in Canada. (I’m Canadian .... sorry!) warranty is a bit better than Weber.
Also on the table is Napoleon. I’d be looking at the prestige pro, or prestige.
Nice grills, appear to be well made, gotta nice ceramic infa red thingie side burner for searing. Also made in Canada. (Sorry for being Canadian again).
The warranty is really good.
I’d appreciate some input, thoughts, etc.
Do I roll the dice and hopefully replicate my buying cheap experience or not?
Any thoughts on Napoleon or broil king? Other brands ? Am I being harsh on Weber? Anybody wanna sell me their older genesis? My in laws won’t sell me theirs.
Thanks everyone.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I don't use our gas grill for anything other than burgers and hot dogs. It's a small Weber and I've been happy with it.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I have a Weber Genesis myself & it's held up good so far (it was the most bang for the buck). Like wolfman, we only use it only for burgers & dogs. We also have a Weber Kettle that gets used about 5 days a week, as we prefer to impart some smokiness to our meat.

BTW, the Weber company was family owned until it sold a majority stake to BDT Capital Partners in 2010. The quality went down when the 'beancounters' got involved to reduce costs (the gauge of the metal & the enamel finish are definitely much thinner now).

My recommendation is to research each & pick the one that you like best. Nowadays to get high quality, you have to go to the high-end of the spectrum. Commercial-grade stainless steel bodies & burners are the gold standard for outdoor longevity.

https://www.bbqguys.com/bbq-grills-smokers/luxury-high-end-gas-grills

Last edited: