• Join Home Gardening Forum

Tips for Pineberry?

• Thread starter Violasandviolas
  • Start date
V

Violasandviolas

I recently got a pineberry plant from another kid in my FFA chapter. (Pineberry is like a strawberry that tastes like pineapple but doesn't have the meat dissolving enzymes my dad is allergic to) I know it shouldn't grow any fruit for another year so any flowers I get I will deadhead until next year. I have it in a hanging basket on my back porch. I gave it some water and 4-12-4 when I transplanted into the hanging pot. Any other tips for it to endure it grows good? (I live in zone 4b btw)

W

Waite

It's in a pot, so you need to take a different approach.

For one thing, remove the runners. The plant is putting energy into making daughter plants that you have no room for in that pot, instead of putting energy into berries. Pinch them off. Second, don't bother pinching the buds off. You would typically pinch them off when starting them in the ground in order to establish a solid root system so they make it through the winter. These things will last years in the ground, so the idea of not letting it grow berries the first year is an exchange for longer life with higher yields. In this case, you will probably be taking it in the house, and the roots will fill that pot soon enough.

How much sun is it going to get under that overhang? Pineberries like full sun, so a minimum of 6 hours of direct sun per day. And as any plant in a pot, letting it dry out over and over will mess up production and growth.

If it were me, I'd find a good home for it out in the yard, then treat it like a regular strawberry plant.

V

Violasandviolas

It's in a pot, so you need to take a different approach.

For one thing, remove the runners. The plant is putting energy into making daughter plants that you have no room for in that pot, instead of putting energy into berries. Pinch them off. Second, don't bother pinching the buds off. You would typically pinch them off when starting them in the ground in order to establish a solid root system so they make it through the winter. These things will last years in the ground, so the idea of not letting it grow berries the first year is an exchange for longer life with higher yields. In this case, you will probably be taking it in the house, and the roots will fill that pot soon enough.

How much sun is it going to get under that overhang? Pineberries like full sun, so a minimum of 6 hours of direct sun per day. And as any plant in a pot, letting it dry out over and over will mess up production and growth.

If it were me, I'd find a good home for it out in the yard, then treat it like a regular strawberry plant.

Thank you! We have deer here so I will probably when the runners get better roots put those in the yard and take your advice for the pot and put it hanging on the front porch which gets better sun. I won't pinch any future flowers for the potted one but the ones I will grow from this one in the yard I will. Should I continue to use 4-12-4 on the potted one or just the runners I will plant in the yard or not at all?

W

Waite

The pot will go through nutrients in a hurry. When I feed I use something that provides equal nutrients across the board, like a 4-4-4. Schultz makes an all-purpose 20-20-20 that I feed at quarter strength bi-weekly, half strength for pots. The 4-12-4 should be fine, just be aware that fertilizer focuses heavily on root development, and it's in a pot.

When you plant them in the ground, amend your soil with composted manure, mulch in, and call it good. Side dress next year. Also, I'd mulch that pot to help keep the moisture in.

V

Violasandviolas

The pot will go through nutrients in a hurry. When I feed I use something that provides equal nutrients across the board, like a 4-4-4. Schultz makes an all-purpose 20-20-20 that I feed at quarter strength bi-weekly, half strength for pots. The 4-12-4 should be fine, just be aware that fertilizer focuses heavily on root development, and it's in a pot.

When you plant them in the ground, amend your soil with composted manure, mulch in, and call it good. Side dress next year. Also, I'd mulch that pot to help keep the moisture in.

Okay I have some all purpose 20-20-20 I can use. I will do that. Thank you so much!