• Join Home Gardening Forum

Trying to price deer fence project. what kind of stakes to use

S

sur3fir3

Well I am getting ready to put some money together for building my deer fence. My main question is what should I use to mount the fence to? Can I use rebar? what about CPVC? Wood? I am trying to find something that is both cost effective, and will be able to withstand high winds. I am in FL so hurricanes are an issue. It either as to be extremely easy to take down, or extremely durable. I was thinking of using cpvc or pvc and drive a 4ft section into the ground, and leave 1ft exposed, then use a larger size and place it over the one that buried, and put a bolt through them. With this method I think removal would be easy enough to where I could do it on my own in a couple hours. If I use something like rebar it would have to be permanent, and what are your thoughts on how well that would stand up to 60+ mph winds.

Does anyone have experience with these fences and high winds? If so please advise.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Never rebar. You always use 10' T-posts (preferably galvanized, although painted ones will easily last 15-20 years). The cross-section of a T-post is just like it's name & the will rarely, if ever, be affected by high winds, especially if you engineer it & brace the corners properly .

Mine have stood the test of both time & sustained hurricane-force winds. The corners/braces (& the supports every 100') are concreted in 6' deep, & the net-wire is designed to 'close up around any 'penetrating object'. In essence, the fence was engineered to stop a charging 3000 lb. bull. Don't forget to install a strand of gaucho wire top & bottom.

Deer_Fence.jpg

S

sur3fir3

I see that you are using wire fencing, What do you think of the plastic deer fencing? like this

This stuff is a bit more in my price range, and was wondering if it would function for a few years. I am still new to gardening and growing. I am trying to keep from spending too much atm until I see some income coming from this. One I reach a point where pests are kept out, and I am able to recoup some money I can then invest in the type of wire fencing you have. with this fencing pictured above I will spend about $140 per 100ft for it, without clips and posts. That is significantly cheaper than the wire alternative. Have you tried something like whats pictured above?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
That would work, I believe... although I have no idea what the T-Post spacing would be for that application... or how long it would last.

FYI, for cost purposes, mine runs about $10/ft. Good luck with your project!

E

ErnieCopp

Texas Climate and Hurricanes are more similar to Florida than Idaho is, so Sam's advice is probably better suited to your situation, but I deer fenced forty acres in Idaho, about 3o years ago, and we used 10 foot treated poles, and they are still in good shape. Those were made from Lodgepole Pine, which you probably do not have, but they raise a lot of Evergreen trees in some areas down there, so you should price it out.

Both galvanizing and wood treating are expensive, but one or the other is well worth the money. I would not use plastic without talking to a couple of people that had actually used it and know it will withstand a Buck getting its antlers tangled in it.

Ernie