• Join Home Gardening Forum

Vine Borer BAttles!!!!

T

the1honeycomb

Well the vine borers in my garden are growing the best! I lost my pumpkins and second rotation zucchini Butternut squash! if anyone has a Magic plan to rid yourself of the evil interlopers then please share!!! I usually use the sevin dust but with all the rain It doesn't have a chance to work!
Appreciate all your wisdom!!

Nancy

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We try to plant our squash in the early spring here, before they emerge from the ground . Not sure where you are located, however you can try to work around their active breeding period if that is feasible in your zone...

M

Mr_Yan

Even the butternut? Wow. I use butternut as it has a solid stem and the borers tend not to go for it. Well that and the flavor.

One of my co-workers swears by regular applications of BT to prevent them but I have yet to resort to that. As you mentioned though each rain requires another app.

I have read where people swear by wrapping the stems in something like aluminum foil. Again I have not had to do this.

T

the1honeycomb

Went out looking for some Butternut squash seeds to sow my winter garden, NONE to be found!!! bought a squash and plan to plant the seeds!!!! Hope it works Out!

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
I have had trouble the last two years with those evil little bugs! Try to slit the lower stem lengthwise with a fine, sharp knife to remove the caterpillar and the egg masses by hand.

M

Mr_Yan

They hit me too. I was just out side and think I may have lost some of my kombucha squashes.