• Join Home Gardening Forum

What do you do for work?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Actually Rolex, it was very boring 99% of the time, which is why I refer to it myself as being a delivery truck driver...

TheOldDays.jpg

At the end, I was flying a desk & that REALLY was the pits. I hated that job more than anything I've ever done. One day I woke up & said "That's it, time to go home".

Last edited:
B

BigCountry

I received my machining degree after i graduated high school and had a career of that for about 8 years, dropped everything and went into business with my dad, he owned a antique auction, been all over the US picking antiques, decided i wanted to continue to see the US so i got my class A cdl's and began delivering furniture, after 2 years i started my family and decided to stay home, began working at a homebuilding company as a Warranty technician, worked my way up to a construction superintendant, After a bad accident at work leading to a horrifying back surgery, i moved back to where i grew up and began working for a national roofing company as a warehouse manager, times slowed, Big lay offs, opened my own power washing business to support my Family, I too make LITTLE money.

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
"Little money"....Story of my life!!! BUT, I think (I) and ALL of you are rich because... Loving family, shelter, garden to harvest, hunting and JOB'S! Plus many more to be thankful for!

Welcome aboard BigCountry!!! Look forward to learning from you

E

ErnieCopp

I have been up, and i have been down, and it seems to me the secret of feeling rich is to control your desires and expectations. If you want less than you can afford, you will have a surplus of mnoney and feel rich, but if you always want more than you can afford, you will always feel poor. This seems to work regardless of how many dollars you have..

Ernie

E

ErnieCopp

I just wish it was better understood by the younger generations here in CA. So many people, including some of my grandchildren, are committing themselves to a life of poverty, just by buying big houses they do not need and cannot afford.
It is very sad to see it.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
There appears to be a very different mindset nowadays. When we were growing up, we learned the difference between a 'need' & a 'want'. 'Needs' always came first & 'wants' had to be saved for & then purchased for cash (after the family's emergency fund was fully funded). Keeping up with the Jones' never leads to financial stability.

To this day, I loath paying somebody to do anything that I can do myself...

E

ErnieCopp

Right, And i was able to pass that philosophy down to my children, who are in their sixties now, but then the younger generations rejected that, and i have not been able to figure out why the common sense and logic disappeared so rapidly. It may be worse here in CA, than in more conservative parts of the country, but it seems to be pretty wide spread..
Even this recent recession has not jolted most of them into the reality of it.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It is widespread, it's the same here... big cities were the first (saw it when I was still working) & now that mentality is seeping in to the small towns here too.

It seems like they want to start out at the same 'status' as their parents are currently or better. I had one tell me he was counting on a big inheritance. Crazy, that one...

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
It is the same with college students now. They graduate and expect a $50-60k salary right off the bat. When I interview potential sales reps I get this a lot. No experience just book training...

My father always said to me, "in the real world outside these walls (our house) no one will feed you or take care of you so you better get out there and get a job and keep it. And when they start you at the bottom, and they will be the best and work your way up!" And that is what I have done.

E

ErnieCopp

What your father said is right, and your way is what i would advise any one to follow. My way was different because the times were so different, but that would not work now the way things are.