• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Still raining here (5.63" since midnight)!!! Yesterday we ended up with 3.06", plus the 0.12" from Thursday!!! Stock tanks are looking good now!!!

Hooked the replacement DISH receiver back up for Mrs. Ranch. It's funny how her priorities become my priorities, LOL!!!

Made a 'Black Forest' cake for our young neighbors.

Black_Forest_Cake.jpg

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Got a little too much rain. About 8” in all. Half the tomato plants are wilted over. I need to bring in some dirt to lift the garden area by 6” or so.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Completed installing the insulation to the single garage door. I still need to complete the top 4 panels on the double door.

Seasoned up a 2" sirloin that I put on the smoker for supper... we'll eat off of this for days.

Cleaned/refilled the hummingbird feeders in the back.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping

Mrs. Ranch gave me the day off & made a tart cherry pie for dessert.

Painted the decorative trim for the garage doors & then installed it. Mrs. Ranch wanted to make the doors look more rustic, LOL!!!

Garage_Trim.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I was going to cut the grass, but it rained again... So I finished installing the insulation to the last 4 panels of the garage door. Then greased the worm gears on the door openers.

Garage_Door_Insulation.jpg

Cleaned & refilled the hummingbird feeders on the front porch. There a quite a few here all of a sudden...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Refilled all the hummingbird feeders.

Prepped the 2 front flowerbeds for replanting (the big freeze killed everything in them).

Treated the gopher mounds that popped up after the last big rain. I hate them pests...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Start cleaning up & prepping the back yard flowerbed for replanting. The yucca was mushy & loaded with wasps, so I took the pear burner to it...

Seasoned up 5 thick pork chops that I'll put on the smoker for supper tonight. Mrs. Ranch is making her 'Twice Baked Potatoes' to go with them.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Took the truck to town to get an oil change & lube.

Did the weekly shopping. While I was out, I picked up 10 Plumbago plants (6 blue & 4 white) for the front flowerbeds that I'll plant this weekend.

Worked on the tractor. Replaced the battery, still nothing. Replaced a blown fuse & it blew again (but it did crank). A friend that works on them said it is probably a bad switch that screws into the top of the engine block & that he'll bring me one tomorrow. I hope that's it...

Dieter found 4 bunnies in the yard & dispatched them all. Dieter is a good boy!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Pruned the pear tree & burned the 'trash'.

Researched parts for my next project & placed some orders.

Started raining here, about 0.04" thus far.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
A lot of rain in the 10-day forecast, we got 0.34" since midnight... I hope this doesn't mess my potatoes up.

Since it's drizzling, I decided to mill another lower.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Worked on making a file so I can go to war with the appraisal district.

We got hammered, 1.79" of rain in about an hour, it was a pretty violent storm. This is just the start...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made a cake for dessert.

Refilled 4 hummingbird feeders.

We got hammered again after supper... 3.19" of rain just after supper. Our young neighbors had a tornado that just missed them, but they have some damage & a lot of trees down.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received an additional 0.99" of rain since midnight. The stock tanks are full & the excess is cascading down the spillways from one tank to another.

The storm last night snapped my new entry-gate flagpole off, it wasn't even a year old... and this one had thicker pipes. GRRR!!!

Took a ride to see the tornado damage, It missed the neigbor's house by maybe 50'. It appeard to followed their road, snapping trees off as it went. Four other homes were equally as lucky.

Last edited: