• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the porch pots, hanging baskets & plants still in the greenhouse.

Decided to plant the spares in the greenhouse to anywhere I had space. We'll take whatever we can get.

The potato's tops are turning brown, so it's time to pull them. I was hoping for another 3 weeks, but they're saying it time now.

Last edited:

KsK

Planting Zone
I pulled a few onions this morning. They look good. If it doesn’t rain much Sunday I plan on pulling some potatoes Monday. I tried mowing this morning but lightning ran me inside.Brother in Wimberley had 60 mph winds last night. All his corn is blown down plus all the peaches and plums were blown off.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cleaned & painted the redbird feeder in the front yard.

Finished harvesting the 1st row of potatoes & got them curing in the party barn.

It's finally started raining (0.15" thus far).

Made another batch of ranch rice per request.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made a pot of pinto beans to go with enchiladas & rice.

Harvested the last row of potatoes & put them in the curing trays. It was a weird year harvest wise as we only got 8 trays (we normally get at least 10). I filled a gallon bucket full of the little 'new potatoes' & got them cleaned for cooking now as they won't keep very long...

The rain started ~ 1230 hrs. (0.23" thus far).

Last edited:

KsK

Planting Zone
Storms are approaching. Got in some more mowing, Still have lots of onions and potatoes that have not been pulled. Hopefully this storm blows through quickly and doesn’t dump a lot of rain. I would like to pull them tomorrow or the next day. Corn is looking great with the electric fence hooked up.

KsK

Planting Zone
Ranch I was checking potatoes this morning that are on wire racks in a room with a constant temperature around 71. I’m finding some already getting soft. I don’t remember this happening this quickly(one week out of the ground). Your thoughts?

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
Gotta check bees today, get a haircut, run to tractor supply and the grocery and then to a friends house for dinner and some guitar playing.. we'll see how much actually gets done. Put the mower in the shop on Thursday .. grass is just gonna look shaggy until I get it back next week..
We did get some rain out of the storms that came through but the biggest part of it petered out before it got here.. glad for that.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Ranch I was checking potatoes this morning that are on wire racks in a room with a constant temperature around 71. I’m finding some already getting soft. I don’t remember this happening this quickly(one week out of the ground). Your thoughts?

How's the airflow in that room??? I cure ours down in the 'party barn' because there's always a good breeze blowing through there. I believe airflow & keeping them dry were the major factors in ours storing so well.

Also, make sure that the potatoes aren't touching one another.

Potatoes2.jpg