• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Well heck, it is still to wet here to do dirt work... The tractor would just make big ruts.

Guess I'll just do some more work on my recipe book.

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
I wish i had that problem. We had a half inch the other day, first in six months and while it brightened the grass, I will have to start applying the Chlorine Solution again soon.
A pretty funny forward came through the other day, funny enough i passed it on, and would have sent it to you, but do not know how to forward it on here.

Ernie

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Cleaned up all the leaves in the yard, emptied the rain barrel and detached it for the winter, and emptied the containers minus my chives which I brought indoors today. Thinking about getting a few small pots to expand my herbs indoors though I don't have many windows that have much sun light.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
I got in my fall garden last weekend. Weeded, tilled in some bagged compost, and planted some fall crops. Ended up doing about 12 onions on the right side, swiss chard, mustard greens, lettuce, cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots on the left side. This is my first attempt at a fall garden, so hopefully it does ok. My garden is 4' x 17'.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I recommend applying 2-3" of shredded pine bark mulch to help hold the moisture. It will break down over the course of 6-12 months & will help improve your soil's texture.

2" thick will require 4 bags (3 Cubic Foot bags) or 6 (2 Cubic Foot Bags)

3" thick will require 6 bags (3 Cubic Foot bags) or 9 (2 Cubic Foot Bags)

I do this yearly.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Ground was firm enough to support the tractor this morning, so I continued with the back-filling. The dirt still is pretty wet/heavy (I can tell when the tractor wheels come up off the ground) so it was slow going... I may put a hay bale on the back tomorrow as a counter weight.

M

Mr_Yan

45ACP - when in doubt mulch. If not in doubt still mulch.

We've had some hard frosts but no snow yet - call it down to 25 F at night a few nights in the last two weeks.

Anyway today was rather warm (52 F at 2:28 PM) and nice but windy so I raked and shredded fall leafs which spread as mulch on gardens. I cleaned the gutters, bailed 3 inches of water out of the kid's turtle sandbox, primed the front door trim (replaced the door two weeks ago), and generally started to clean the garden out for the winter. I drained my water pigs from my rain catchment system. We also loaded up the utility wagon with cut firewood that has been sitting around here for a few months and hauled it down the street to some neighbors for them to burn but we still have a wagon load to take down.

I have also started two worm composting bins in the basement again.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Yesterday I watered & trimmed the ferns in preparation for moving them into the greenhouse (forecast was for 30 degrees tomorrow night). Did an ops-check of the heater. Today I will start moving everything in for the winter.

Then I will move a wheelbarrow of firewood up to the house.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
Gotta give mine a good watering and feeding this afternoon. I've got a pretty good growth of asparagus that I've just let grow through the summer.. Anyone know when I should trim it back and mulch it over for the winter? I'm completely new to asparagus - been letting it grow for 2 seasons now and should be able to start harvesting it this spring.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I agree. You can always get naked & sit in a stock tank but you can never put on enough clothes it seems. Heck, I have heaters in the deer stands cause my feet start freezing!!!

S

Slowngreen

Mines been done for along time now, been freezing at night for over a month. Making plans for next year though.

M

Mr_Yan

I'd rather the hot weather too but I have a job and home here. My wife would like to be closer to family or at least not move farther away.

We're on the wrong side of Lake Michigan to really get any snow but we do get cold in the winter. If we get above 70 inches of snow in a season people around here start to talk about setting a new record. Where I grew up in Michigan we got snow but never really got too cold - that is much below zero F for extended length time.Worse than snow is when you get cycles of snow and mud for the winter months like we did when I was at school in Terre Haute Indiana.

My garden still has some kale and chard under the dusting of snow and I'll hope to have parsnips to dig soon. Sad to say that my long island improved brussles sprouts never formed sprouts. I'm about to give up on brussles sprouts.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
42 at my house this morning. Tomatoes are safe so far but I'm a bit worried about tomorrow morning - especially if all this wind lays down.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Only got to 36.7 degrees here (forecast was for 32)... but at least we were ready. Everything got moved to the greenhouse & remained at a balmy 60 degrees overnight & the light in the well house was on, just in case.

The outside temp is currently 44 degrees here & the winds have laid down. Should be a good afternoon to go hunting, as the deer will be moving.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
I got the pine bark mulch on yesterday after work. Pics were taken early this morning before the sun really got up.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Looks good! It will certainly help the plants.

It's clear, but chilly here & the wind has laid down. While I would like to continue with my dirt work, I do believe I'm going to take the day off & go hunting this afternoon instead.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Looks good. How much sun does your garden get throughout the day?

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Looks good. How much sun does your garden get throughout the day?

Well, during the summer months it gets a good 7-8 hours of direct sun per day. But now that fall/winter is here and the sun is rising and setting lower, it is not getting as much sun as I would like. The sun stays behind the trees more.

I just built the garden this past spring. My spring garden was the first I have ever planted and it did very well. This is my first try at a fall garden. Not sure how it will do with the limited sun. It still gets sun, just not as much, maybe 3-4 hours direct sun and then a few more hours shining through the trees? I guess we will see. Or I may be in the backyard chopping down some trees. LOL! The location the garden is at now is really about the only place I can put it in my backyard.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
46 here this morning - I think I'm safe for this go round. I have this lingering fear that my spaghetti squash are not going to have a chance to ripen before the next one though.