WR's 2015 Spring Garden

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Thanks all.

Today I started prepping the onions for processing & freezing. Got about 1/3 of them ready...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Still processing the onions (diced) & then vacuum packing/freezing them. These will be used in preparing dishes as other things ripen. We also going to try dehydrating some as well.

Pulled the garlic, I don't think it is going to be a winner for us this year due to the constant wet soil. Most of it has signs of neck rot. I laid them out on the picnic tables to cure & then we'll see...

Also pulled all the potatoes (they look fine) & put them in the bread trays to cure as well. Ended up with 5 trays of each variety.

Picked our first cucumber (12") that will be served as spears with supper tonight

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Been 3 weeks since the last update so here's what's happening at the ranch...

It's been raining just about everyday here and some of the storms have generated heavy downpours & strong winds. It's been darn right soggy, even with the high sand content of the soil, which makes gardening a challenge especially for root crops. I had to pull the onions, garlic & potatoes earlier than normal which naturally means a lesser yield. The overcast weather also has affected the above-ground crops as well, although they are growing as you will see...

The weather also makes it difficult to stay ahead of the weeding... I normally have everything well mulched by the beginning of May so I don't have to weed as much...

Garden_052415.jpg

Garlic_052415.jpg

RedPotatoes_052415.jpg

WhitePotatoes_052415.jpg

Tomatoes1_052415.jpg

Tomatoes2_052415.jpg

Corn_052415.jpg

GreenBeans_052415.jpg

JalapenoPeppers1_052415.jpg

JalapenoPeppers2_052415.jpg

Continued...

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Your garden looks fabulous, as usual. Doesn't look like the rain has held you back. I didn't even go back to check the garden today due to the rain. My garden dog, Lily, started acting up around 5:30 a.m., trying to get in bed with me. I just kept telling her to get down! I finally decided she needed to go out, but when I opened the front door to the downpour, she didn't make a move for the door. So I decided she wanted breakfast since I normally get up at 5:30 and feed her. Gave her breakfast, but she beat me back to the bed and jumped upon it. Checked Facebook later and saw our section had multiple tornadoes overhead at the same time Lily was pitching her fit. Guess I need to pay more attention to her canine instincts. We're supposed to have a weather repeat early Monday morning, but hopefully the weather people are wrong.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked 3 more cucumbers & the first of the 'Baby Corn'... The funny thing was I had a dream about baby corn last night... I kid you not. Picked 18 ears, enough for 2 days worth of salads. Plenty more coming so I hope to pickle some.

BabyCornHarvest1_060115.jpg

BabyCornHarvest2_060115.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked 7 more cucumbers today... average length is +15". VERY small seed cavity & would make excellent pickle spears (we already have plenty here). I wished someone here lived close by... they're starting to really produce now, LOL!!!

Cucumbers_060215.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked 15 more jalapenos (that will be stuffed), more baby corn & the first 3 tomatoes. Most of this will be served at supper time.

JapsTomatoBabyCornHarvest_060315.jpg

Also picked 10 more cucumbers just like the above... Called the mail lady & told her to stop by so she can have whatever she wants & pass the remainder out to the old folks on her route.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Looks like you are having a very successful gardening year despite the weather. Good for you!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's a 'so-so' year for the garden, some things are doing really well & somethings are barely making.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Any tips on growing onions like that?

Per your request, I'm working on a 'how to' article for the forum.

What's your best producer with all the rain?

The green beans, peppers, cucumbers & baby corn have done exceptionally well. The tomatoes are average, as were the red potatoes. The sweetcorn, garlic & onions were below par...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Yesterday we started canning tomatoes that we harvested the day before... We got 8 quarts out of the first batch... This is the kickoff for our 2015 canning season.

Canned_Tomatoes_061215.jpg

Today I picked jalapenos that will be stuffed & served as a side with our supper.

Jalapeno_061315.jpg

Also picked green beans that we will blanch, vacuum pack & then freeze for later use.

GreenBeans_061315.jpg

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
WR; Do you do a second planting for summer or do you just do your spring garden and wait for fall?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Mostly just the spring, although I sometimes plant another depending on how much food we have put up.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Thanks. I guess I'll be replanting something. Houston is extremely overcast today and we got more rain on Thursday. Between so much water and lack of sun, it's no wonder my garden is struggling.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked another 1/2 tub of green beans & a tub of tomatoes.

Blanched & bagged up the green beans.

GreenBeans_062015.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We continued canning this morning & got 10 more quarts of whole tomatoes done.

Canned_Tomatoes_062115.jpg

Picked more jalapenos & will stuff them for a side dish to go along with the smoked pork for supper.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The garden is starting to succumb to the temperatures & rain. The last of the corn has been harvested & we'll blanch & strip the kernels tomorrow.

The green beans are just about through as well, they produced really well & we have a lot of them put up. Any further production will just be cooked & eaten.

The slicing tomatoes were pretty disappointing this year & I pulled them out yesterday. The 'Health Kick; tomatoes are still ripening so they'll stay for a while.

Both the jalapeno & poblano peppers are having a stellar year, as are the cucumbers (we've never had the quantity & quality as we've had this season).

The spaghetti squash is having a so-so year.

We are waiting to see how the melons produce (it needs to stop raining or they will split for sure). They appear to be growing well & appear to be healthy thus far...