• Join Home Gardening Forum

WR's 2018 Spring Garden

K

ksk

Looking good Ranch. I plan on building more planter boxes in late January.My goals for this Spring is to plant less but grow more. I plan on watching my spacing between plants.After last Spring/Summer I know what we and relatives ate the most.I plan on planting more corn,potatoes and beans.Less jalapenos,egg plant,tomatoes,and bell peppers.I do want to plant tomatillos where as I can try making salsa verde using your recipe.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Ranch,which ones do you start in your green house?

Just the basil, peppers, tomatoes & the flowers this year (if I was growing eggplant, they would also be in there also). Everything else is direct seeded mid-March & the melons in mid-April.

Note the leeks are 'starts' (like onion sets & will be planted upon arrival.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Here's the update:

I started the jalapenos peppers, green peppers, 'Heatmaster' tomatoes, 'HealthKick' tomatoes & basil this weekend. I also started the flowers (angel trumpets, anemones, & marigolds). After watering them all in, I put the the trays of starter pots in the greenhouse to germinate. The thermostat is now reset to 75 degrees.

I have received the leek starts & will plant them tomorrow.

The Red Pontiac potatoes I picked up last week are chitting out nicely & already have quarter inch buds. These will be prepped & planted in about 10-12 days.

Onions are doing OK in spite of the 2 bouts of extreme cold.

I cleaned, fertilized & mulched the asparagus bed about a couple of weeks ago... just in the nick of time, as the are now up. I anticipate that we'll have enough to go with our supper in a couple of days.

Other that that, I'm just cleaning up & forming the garden rows. Spring is in the air!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The main garden is 50' X 80' (so 4000 sq. ft.)

The dedicated asparagus bed is 4' X 25' (so 100 sq. ft.)

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It was drizzling yesterday so I planted the potatoes this morning, then fertilized them (13-13-13) ahead of the forecast cool front. perfect timing too as there's no moon, LOL!!! All the root crops are now in.

Another week or so, & I'll plant the peas.

K

ksk

It was drizzling yesterday so I planted the potatoes this morning, then fertilized them (13-13-13) ahead of the forecast cool front. perfect timing too as there's no moon, LOL!!! All the root crops are now in.

Another week or so, & I'll plant the peas.
Ranch are the peas from the green house or seed? Hopefully I can plant the potatoes in the next few days.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Just a quick update... Today I planted radishes & cilantro.

Also, we've had a very good crop of asparagus & have been processing/vacuum packing/freezing it. Many of the spears are 3/4" across!!!

The potatoes, leeks & onions are also doing well thus far.

Potatoes_030618.jpg

Leeks_030618.jpg

Onions_030618.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Well I've been harvesting asparagus for 5 weeks now & today I harvested what I believe is enough to last us until next spring (we now have 21 one lb. vacuum-packed bags in the freezer), so now it can just grow. This was by far the most productive year since I planted it 3 yrs ago.

Asparagus_031518.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Here's the monthly update:

We've been pretty busy here... I still have to finish the mulching, but the main part of the garden is complete & both the cantaloupe & watermelon are now up. I need to replant more radish as we have eaten the first planting.

Garden_042718.jpg

The cilantro is just starting to take off.

Cilantro_042718.jpg

The green beans are doing well & have started climbing the trellis.

Green_Beans_042718.jpg

Both the green peppers & the jalapenos are behind in their normal growth due to the cooler temps this spring.On the plus side, the marigolds are doing great.

Green_Peppers_042718.jpg

Jalapenos_042718.jpg

The leeks are really putting on. We've never grown them before but after sampling 4 of them with a steak dinner earlier this week, we will definitely plant them again.

The onions were looking good a week ago, but now they're starting to look like they are close to finishing... No 'lunkers' this year I'm sorry to say.

Leeks_042718.jpg

Onions_042718.jpg

Both the Lima beans & the soybeans suffered a setback about 2 weeks ago due to couple of cold fronts accompanied by 30 MPH winds (their leaves all had windburn).

Lima_Beans_042718.jpg

Soybeans_042718.jpg

The potatoes appear to be doing well... The tops are full & bug free so I'm hopeful that the tubers will be good as well.

Potatoes_042718.jpg

Continued...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Like the Lima beans, the spaghetti squash & the cucumbers also suffered some wind damage... but they are bouncing back nicely.

Squash_Cukes_042718.jpg

The tomatoes are a little behind due to the cooler nighttime temps... They will be happier when we start getting 70 degree nights.

Tomatoes_042718.jpg

And lastly, the peas... They look healthy & are just starting to climb the trellis. We've never grown them here, so we're not sure what to expect.

Peas_042718.jpg

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Here's the monthly update:

We've been pretty busy here... I still have to finish the mulching, but the main part of the garden is complete & both the cantaloupe & watermelon are now up. I need to replant more radish as we have eaten the first planting.

The cilantro is just starting to take off.

The green beans are doing well & have started climbing the trellis.
Both the green peppers & the jalapenos are behind in their normal growth due to the cooler temps this spring.On the plus side, the marigolds are doing great.

The leeks are really putting on. We've never grown them before but after sampling 4 of them with a steak dinner earlier this week, we will definitely plant them again.

The onions were looking good a week ago, but now they're starting to look like they are close to finishing... No 'lunkers' this year I'm sorry to say.

Both the Lima beans & the soybeans suffered a setback about 2 weeks ago due to couple of cold fronts accompanied by 30 MPH winds (their leaves all had windburn).
The potatoes appear to be doing well... The tops are full & bug free so I'm hopeful that the tubers will be good as well.

Continued...

Immaculate as always, Ranch !!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Harvested the onions (since they have started falling over) & laid them out on the tables in the party barn to cure. Then re-mulched the row so its ready for the fall planting. Some decent sized ones, but no lunkers to brag about...

Onions_Curing_050518.jpg