• Join Home Gardening Forum

WR's 2020 Spring Garden

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I've finished my seed selection & plan for the spring garden. Everything is now ordered & will arrive in time for me to start planting them by Feb 1st. I got a few new varieties of slicing tomatoes, jalapenos, soybeans & basil to try this year.

Spring is in the air & I'm getting exited!!!

2020_Garden_Template.jpg

2020_Spring_Garden_Lineup.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished filling the peat starter pots with the soil mix. Both varieties of tomatoes & peppers, the basil & the french marigolds will be started this weekend. Everything else will be direct seeded mid-March.

Starter_Mix.jpg

Starter_Pots_Ready.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to town this morning to pick up the seed potatoes. Got them set up to start chitting out.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Planted both varieties of tomatoes & peppers, basil & the marigolds in their starter pots & turned the heater up to 80 degrees for the germination period.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Been spending my days prepping the garden to plant. Today I finally planted the potatoes & leeks . They went in late this year because of a hard freeze & then the rains made the dirt to wet to plant

After that, I prepped the area where I will plant the green onions, radish & cilantro by running the pear burner over it to kill anything sprouting there. I'll plant those seeds tomorrow.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Been a while...

We havested all the potatoes last month & processed them into scalloped potatoes that were then vacuum packed/frozen.

We also harvested all the onions last month. This week they'll be processed (diced) & then vacuum packed/frozen.

Been harvesting green beans & just eating them... same with the jalapenos.

The cucumbers have been going gangbusters & we've been giving a lot of them away. I have another 5 gallon bucket of them in the kitchen that I picked this morning.

Today we made stuffed green peppers that took every bit of the 8 pounds of sirloin that I ground yesterday. They are HUGE this year & there are many more out there!!!

Big_Green_Pepper.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Vacuum packed the stuffed green peppers from yesterday.

Harvested more green beans. Also 6 more cucumbers & 12 big green peppers that I'll drop off at 3 of our neighbors.