• Join Home Gardening Forum
  • HomeGardeningForum is NOW TotallyTexasForum!

In-Home Gardening Advice

HaleyMiller

Planting Zone
6B
Hi- I'm new to gardening, and I was hoping some of you could help me find out some more information regarding in-home gardening kits. I have seen several different products, but don't know which would be the best one. I know I would like to start growing my own herbs and some veggies but, I do not have any land to plant on due to the fact that I live in an apartment. Any help or advice is very much appreciated!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Planting Zone
8b
Use big clay pots with drainage holes & a water tray under them.

Fill with a soil that drains well (like a cactus mix).

Be aware that pots need frequent fertilization & watering.

0594410_1.jpeg

Mr_Yan

Planting Zone
6a
look up kratly style hydroponics. I've been using this for 3 or 4 years to grow lettuce through the winter.

I never bought or looked at kits for this. Build your own.

Monotropa

Planting Zone
8b
Something else that's fun and especially if you are just experimenting and not planning on getting huge returns is a small aeroponics or for something even more exciting (IMO anyhow) an aquaponics set up (you have fish in the water). I am in the same mind set as @Mr_Yan and like to make my own setups but there are kits for beginners so you can at least have a working system to start with and then can grow from there.

Something like https://www.greenandvibrant.com/aeroponic-plans
or https://www.greenandvibrant.com/aquaponic-plans

HaleyMiller

Planting Zone
6B
@Monotropa @Mr_Yan Thank you for the advice! After doing some research and reading the articles you linked, I really liked the idea of getting a kit as opposed to doing a DIY system. I had a friend who used a DIY aquaponics system in their garage and it was always leaking and hard to maintain. I am not sure I have the time to invest in maintaining something like that. Some products I came across while researching though were very interesting like the AeroGarden Harvest Hydroponics System. It appears to do what I need it to do, I just keep seeing that it is expensive and I would have to buy a separate kit to germinate my seeds. Is there a product that you can think of that both germinates my seeds AND grows my plants inside?