• Join Home Gardening Forum

In-Home Gardening Advice

H

HaleyMiller

Hi- I'm new to gardening, and I was hoping some of you could help me find out some more information regarding in-home gardening kits. I have seen several different products, but don't know which would be the best one. I know I would like to start growing my own herbs and some veggies but, I do not have any land to plant on due to the fact that I live in an apartment. Any help or advice is very much appreciated!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Use big clay pots with drainage holes & a water tray under them.

Fill with a soil that drains well (like a cactus mix).

Be aware that pots need frequent fertilization & watering.

0594410_1.jpeg

M

Mr_Yan

look up kratly style hydroponics. I've been using this for 3 or 4 years to grow lettuce through the winter.

I never bought or looked at kits for this. Build your own.

M

Monotropa

Something else that's fun and especially if you are just experimenting and not planning on getting huge returns is a small aeroponics or for something even more exciting (IMO anyhow) an aquaponics set up (you have fish in the water). I am in the same mind set as @Mr_Yan and like to make my own setups but there are kits for beginners so you can at least have a working system to start with and then can grow from there.

Something like https://www.greenandvibrant.com/aeroponic-plans
or https://www.greenandvibrant.com/aquaponic-plans

H

HaleyMiller

@Monotropa @Mr_Yan Thank you for the advice! After doing some research and reading the articles you linked, I really liked the idea of getting a kit as opposed to doing a DIY system. I had a friend who used a DIY aquaponics system in their garage and it was always leaking and hard to maintain. I am not sure I have the time to invest in maintaining something like that. Some products I came across while researching though were very interesting like the AeroGarden Harvest Hydroponics System. It appears to do what I need it to do, I just keep seeing that it is expensive and I would have to buy a separate kit to germinate my seeds. Is there a product that you can think of that both germinates my seeds AND grows my plants inside?