• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

Titus Bass

Planting Zone
9A
Started pruning all the bamboo. Haven't done any pruning after the big freeze. Prune one day and clean all the trimmings the next. I only have 11 more......

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We took a wait & see attitude with our trees. Last year I was sure we had lost half of them, but a number of them have new growth this year. They aren't pretty with the dead branches, but we'll see what they do this year before I make a decision.

Titus Bass

Planting Zone
9A
We took a wait & see attitude with our trees. Last year I was sure we had lost half of them, but a number of them have new growth this year. They aren't pretty with the dead branches, but we'll see what they do this year before I make a decision.
Yes sir, our bamboo is quite fugley after the freeze. We had some over 40' tall die. I had to get a bunch of suckers off. They were going wild.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I've still got about a half days' worth of cutting back dead bamboo too. We started on it a few weeks backs. I did not know this, but bamboo pops like a rifle when you burn it. Hahaha, its going to be a noisy fire.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Tied up all the tomato & the spaghetti squash plants.

Pulled more onions & put them in the party barn to cure.

Cleaned/refill the bird's water tub.

Made New Orleans bread pudding for our neighbors.

Titus Bass

Planting Zone
9A
I've still got about a half days' worth of cutting back dead bamboo too. We started on it a few weeks backs. I did not know this, but bamboo pops like a rifle when you burn it. Hahaha, its going to be a noisy fire.
You bet....It will put out quite a crack................

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
R&R the batteries in our computer's UPS's.

Watered the pots on the front & back porches.

Cleaned/refilled the hummingbird feeders (2).

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made 2 loaves of bread.

Burned the cardboard trash before a burn ban gets slapped back on.

Watered the garden, asparagus & all the trees/lirope. It's suppose to be in the mid to upper 90s for the next 10 days, which is way too hot for this time of the year.

Prepped a big sirloin steak that I'll put on the smoker for our suppers the next few days. Mrs. Ranch is making twice-baked potatoes to go with it.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Watered the garden, asparagus, porch pots & hanging baskets.

Finished fertilizing/mulching the 'Texas Star' bed in the side yard.

Last edited:

Titus Bass

Planting Zone
9A
Planted 2 peach and 2 plum trees. They are suppose to have 4 variety of plums and/or peaches on the trees. Hopefully they will work out.........

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to town to get a haircut & get an oil/lube job & state inspection on the truck. Then did the weekly shopping.

Started cleaning the onions in the party barn so I can put them in the curing trays.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
As expected, the garden soil I bought came back with a Ph of a whopping 8.9. Lol. That’s literal poison to most anything trying to grow. We will start the sulphur applications in the flowerbeds where we used it. It’s too late for the garden.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The quality of 'garden soil' has been a problem for a good while, here as well. You would think that these businesses would want to have happy customers that return to buy more of their product instead of pissing them off.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus, the trees in the back yard & the pots/hanging baskets on the front & back porches.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Played 'gopher wars'... My mission was to search & destroy gopher tunnels in the garden, dropping gas bombs as I went. Afterwards I raked the mounds flat so I can tell if any new ones pop up. They've been really bad this year.

Harvested the last of the onions.

Harvested about half of the red potatoes & put them in the curing trays. I'll get the rest of them hopefully tomorrow. There are a lot of small ones this year, nothing at all like last year.

Tied up the pepper plants & the 2 cherry tomatoes.

Last edited:

Titus Bass

Planting Zone
9A
Started yesterday evening right after work. Rescued 2 boats broke down or stuck in the mud at different locations. Out until near midnight. I did get a good look at that eclipse.........
Headed to get mulch, horse feed and a metal trash can for my cracked corn. Mommas squirrels have found the plastic barrel and chewed into it.......May be squirrel and rice on my menu.........

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered everything this morning. It's been a hot & dry spring here.

Prepped all the small potatoes from yesterday & prepped 2 pans of them for roasting. They will be frozen & then vacuum packed for later in the year.

Clean more onions & put them in the curing trays.

Harvest 7 more cucumbers that were given to our neighbors & our mail lady.

Cleaned/refilled the 2 hummingbird feeders

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Harvested the other half of the red potatoes & put them in the curing trays.

Prepped all the small potatoes from this morning for roasting. Got another 2 pans of them.

Vacuum packed the roasted potatoes from yesterday. We got 6 family portions out of that batch.

Last edited: