• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Continued working on repairing/reinforcing the flag pole. My original plan was to insert 2" PVC pipe into the aluminum tubes & then insert 1 3/8" galvanized pipe into the PVC pipe. I ran into a problem as the PVC pipe's outside diameter is out of spec. I solve this challenge by using my circular saw to cut 1 wall of the PVC pipe lengthwise, which allowed it to compress enough to slip into the flagpole. I'm rolling right along now. Finished everything except for installing the new rope & flag clips before the rain started. I'm probably going to need my neighbor's help when it's time to stand it up due to the additional weight... think Iwo Jima, LOL!!!

Fed the cattle.

Seasoned up chicken that I'll put on the smoker for supper.

Made rice seasoned with my picante sauce as a side dish.

Last edited:

Titus Bass

Planting Zone
9A
Dude.....we are so damn wet around here. My grass is calf high, and with more rain every day it don't look like any mowing anytime soon. At least the ducks and geese are enjoying the continually full low areas......

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I hear you. It's been a strange year, between the super freeze, cooler temps & constant rain. The last 3 times I cut the grass, it was super wet, but I did it anyway because it was only going to be worst if I didn't... grass clumps everywhere.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

I think the 4th calf of the year has arrived!!! I'm not positive because it's way in the back... UPDATE: it is now confirmed!!!

Last edited:

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
1626570777288.png1626570798569.png1626570815963.png1626570830803.png1626570845346.png1626570876005.png1626570889828.png

Lawn crew haven't been by for 2 weeks now due to the saturated rain. It was nice today so I finally got the Kubota started. Went to the back for the very first time in over a year. Apparently things kind of took care of it self. Cleaned out all the beds. Mowed like a madman , until the skitters chased me back to the house ! LOL !! I forgot how much I really enjoyed mowing.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
And the 5th calf of the year has arrived (all bull calves thus far)!!! Daddy Bubba was a busy lil' boy when he got here!!!

Cleaned the range vent filters for Mrs. Ranch.

Cleaned/prepped another shovel & rake for painting.

Last edited:

Titus Bass

Planting Zone
9A
View attachment 4298View attachment 4299View attachment 4300View attachment 4301View attachment 4302View attachment 4303View attachment 4304

Lawn crew haven't been by for 2 weeks now due to the saturated rain. It was nice today so I finally got the Kubota started. Went to the back for the very first time in over a year. Apparently things kind of took care of it self. Cleaned out all the beds. Mowed like a madman , until the skitters chased me back to the house ! LOL !! I forgot how much I really enjoyed mowing.
Yeah......I mowed yesterday, about 2.5 inches higher than normal. Today I set it back to normal and mowed again........

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Yeah......I mowed yesterday, about 2.5 inches higher than normal. Today I set it back to normal and mowed again........

I've actually stumble on a post that Ranch and yourself was talking about mowing in this wet condition. Timing was perfect for me yesterday to do the same LOL !! It was a struggle to get the Kubota started since it was sat up for so long. Went out and bought a NOCO battery trickle charger to keep that battery charged.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Painted the handles of the shovel & rake. Now I only have 2 more to do.

The septic tank guy came out & did the quarterly maintenance of the system.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Burned the trash.

Cut the grass.

Painted the heads of the shovel & rake that I prepped yesterday.

Research drones for use on the ranch. The one I'm leaning towards is a DJI Phantom 4 Pro+ Version 2.0 Quadcopter.
That is one heck of a drone, but you’ll be well suited with the smaller models in the sub $1000 range. The little Mavic will do anything you need.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the porch pots & hanging baskets.

Sprayed the crabgrass with 'Drive XLR8' for the 2nd time to finish it off. And then as luck would have it, it started raining (0.15")... although it wasn't suppose to. GRRRR.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made 2 loaves of bread.

Started harvesting the last cutting of basil. Prepped it & got it in the dehydrator.

Harvested the last of the tomatoes. We're going to miss out garden grown ones as the store bought are tasteless & suck.

Made our Italian oil as we are having 'Bruschetta' for supper tonight.

It rained again (1.35"). I wasted my time & money spraying the crabgrass yesterday. If I spray it again, it will be with RoundUp... I'd rather put up with bare spots than crabgrass.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping up in La Grange hoping to get some of the outstanding items that haven't been available at our local store. Got a few but not all. I swear the country is becoming a 3rd world nation...

Made a pot of pinto beans. I'll make ranch rice later for the other side dish.

Pulled the basil from the dehydrator as it is done. I'll grind & bottle it tomorrow.

Seasoned up beef fajita meat that I'll grill for supper.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cut 2 pork loins into 1" chops & vacuum packed them.

Ground the dehydrated basil & put it into a jar.

Refilled the redbird feeders & put out a new high dollar seed block. For some reason seed blocks have become a problem lately... enough so that I'm going to start making my own.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Our neighbor came down & helped me get our flagpole back up. It is considerably heavier now & should withstand a much higher wind-load. In appreciation, I told him that we'll modify his flagpole next (I already have the necessary material).

Made a birthday cake for the same neighbor's wife & brought it to her.

Last edited: