• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to Walmart to pickup 3 more cases of paper towels & toilet paper because I saw that Costco is limiting paper products again due to a pulp shortage. I figured Walmart will do the same. Mrs. Ranch told me that we're out of space & I told her to make space if she doesn't want to be washing diapers when we run out. Hell, this insanity could go on for another 12-18 months...

Started repairing the crack in my Jeep's plastic bumper where a guy hit mey last year. I hate doing body work (although in all modesty I used to be pretty good at it)... I see no reason to pay a grand for someone else to do it. Hell, I used to do custom paint jobs on motorcycles & boats for spare money. Update: The basic repairs are now completed, the flexible Bondo has been applird, shaped, final sanded & 2 coats of primer have been applied. When the primer dried, I sprayed the 3 color coats & then 4 coats of clear. Next week I'll buff it out & call it done. Mrs. Ranch inspected my work & said I still have the touch, LOL!!! It was a busy day...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished shredding the middle pastures. I still have to do the back pastures, hopefull as soon as the incoming rain ends.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked up 24' of 2" angle iron for building a brace to hold the PVC piping in the well house. Also picked up more cutoff wheels.

Stopped at the propane shop & talked to the owner about the 1K gallon undeground tank. We're on the list now.

Washed my Jeep as it needed it badly.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The rain has arrived, we've received 1.80" since midnight...

Made bread.

Took down & cleaned a couple of the hummingbird feeders for the season, then refilled the remaining ones. There are still about 40-50 birds here that have refused to move on.

Seasoned up chicken that I'll smoke for supper tonight. It will be glazed with a bourbon BBQ sauce.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I measured & drew up the plans for the well house project, then cut the angle iron into the lengths I need. Still need to drill 4 holes in the base for anchoring it to the concrete pad before welding it together.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Raining here, 0.40" thus far.

Made a German chocolate cake for our young neighbors.

Did the weekly shopping after the rain ended.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Work in the garden.

Prepped 4 big spaghetti squash so Mrs. Ranch could bake them for Dieter. Next year I'll plant 50' of them so we have enough for us too, LOL!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made pizza dough & sauce for supper tonight.

Sanded my bumper repair (progressing from 800, 1500, 2000, 3000 & lastly 5000 grit), then buffed it out with polishing compound. It's done but the only issue, to me anyways, is that the new paint is slightly darker than the old 14 yr old paint. Yeah, a it's a 1st world problem... Mrs Ranch said I have OCD.

Tack welded my well house project together. Tomorrow I'll test fit it & drill/mark the base so it will be ready for the finish welds.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Vacuum packed Dieter's spaghetti squash.

Made a pecan/spice cake for dessert.

Continue working in the garden. Planted the cabbage & the Brussels sprouts, then watered them in.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Paver guys completed last week. Thursday is plaster which will put an end to this project. Next up will be a 1500 sq ft paver patio area that will join the house/garage to the hole in the ground plus a little pathway out to the chicken coop.

145BE095-7AC5-45B9-B7AF-DB9EA7A33774.jpeg1F39C8C2-CE51-40C5-A5BD-4CCE07161970.jpeg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Took down 4 more hummingbird feeders & cleaned them for storage.

Watered the garden, asparagus & the hanging baskets on both porches.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I must add that this plaster crew that showed up this morning were some serious hard hitters. I was impressed, and that’s not easy to do in the construction trades these days. They pulled into my driveway at dark and 5 guys started working within 3 minutes. A few minutes later 5 more guys started getting equipment set up. A few minutes later the plaster truck showed up. They were done with the job in 3 hours and 50 minutes and it was impressive to watch.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Continued working in the garden. Planted the broccoli & cauliflower, then tilled the soil & formed the short rows for the radishes & cilantro.

I'm saddened by the death of the ranch's grande dame, although I've been expecting it... 'Sugar Baby' was 18 yrs old & I'm going to miss her. She used to follow me around the pastures & would drink beer out of my hand. Cows rarely get that old...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Did the weekly shopping... frustrating having to settle on lesser brands...

Stopped at the packing house & got 10+ lbs of sirloin steaks that I ground up to made 31 hamburger patties. Mrs. Ranch can vacuum pack them tomorrow.

Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Helped Mrs. Ranch vacuum pack the sirloin burgers. I figured that they're 90/10, so there should be much shrinkage.

Seasoned up 6 lbs of country-style pork ribs that I put on the smoker for suppers the next few days. Mrs. Ranch did a slew of twice-baked potatoes to go with them.

Cut the grass ahead of the expected rain.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Continued working in the garden. Planted the broccoli & cauliflower, then tilled the soil & formed the short rows for the radishes & cilantro.

I'm saddened by the death of the ranch's grande dame, although I've been expecting it... 'Sugar Baby' was 18 yrs old & I'm going to miss her. She used to follow me around the pastures & would drink beer out of my hand. Cows rarely get that old...
Sorry to hear. I’m betting that cow had the best life out there at your place.