lettuce, carrots, beets
DSC_0009.JPG
shallots, radishes
DSC_0010.JPG
leeks, yellow, red onions
DSC_0011.JPG
bok choy....
DSC_0012.JPG
will post more of the beds tomorrow......

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Welcome back Catfish!!! Everything is looking real good, especially your bok choy!

Do you pinch off the flowers on your potatoes???

M

majorcatfish

Welcome back Catfish!!! Everything is looking real good, especially your bok choy!

Do you pinch off the flowers on your potatoes???
pinching potato flowers . hum have read about it, but it show no major increase in size. so to really answer your question will stake a couple bintje plants with another plant similar in size and see....

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Your garden looks great, MajorCatfish. Looking at your pictures, I'm definitely going to have to plant more purple onions and some garlic this fall. I go through the onions very quickly. Heck, I eat them all by themselves like an apple.

M

majorcatfish

thank you everyone...was planning to plant cucumbers and peanuts but just never got around to it.....theres always next weekend
the only thing i did out there was water everybody, pull a few weeds and transplanted some lettuce that was to close to each other.
hopefully in a couple weeks the garlic will be pulled , need to get the beans and corn in the ground....
well off to pack my bags again,if everything goes right will be back wednesday or thursday

M

majorcatfish

returned late wednesday worked thursday had friday off, needless to say played catch up for the last 3 days...
heres this weeks photos.....
pulled and hung 99% of the garlic a handful could have stayed in for a week or two, but needed to get other things in the ground.
DSC_0003.JPG
the kiwi is loaded again will not know the count for another month..
DSC_0004.JPG
the tomatoes are bushing out and have tomatoes on every plant .......
DSC_0005.JPG
pepper plants.. are doing great but they are waiting for the heat..
DSC_0010.JPG
the raised bed area.... with spring ending shortly things will change over to main season crops
did plant yellow beans carrots and a handful of radishes.
DSC_0007.JPG
with all the garlic pulled from the bed, planted virginia jumbo peanuts....one of this years experiments
DSC_0008.JPG
the bintje potatoes..
DSC_0009.JPG and finally got the cucumbers planted... still need to work on the drainage....
DSC_0006.JPG and lastly the eggplant has set fruit..sorry no photo..

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
I drool over the amount of space Sam and Majorcatfish have...

Did you build a drying shed for your garlic, etc.?

M

majorcatfish

No just using the rafters in the barn with a couple fans blowing on them. Once cured will trim them up and store them inside the house. The wife wants to try drying some and pickle some.

Yes it is nice to have the space we will know later this year if we can expand or start looking for a new piece of property due to the highway by-pass.

M

majorcatfish

rahab heres a couple photos of the garlic curing.
used some load locks from my old days as a truck driver that are up in the rafters and tried nylon rope to some rebar then bundled the garlic and hung it will do this the same way with the onions and shallots.
DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG
of course once the potatoes are ready to harvest they will go out there as well but will cover the windows so no light gets in.
as everything cures will place them in our junk room for storage...

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
NICE curing shed. Thanks for taking the time to show me what your drying area looks like.

M

majorcatfish

NICE curing shed. Thanks for taking the time to show me what your drying area looks like.
the barn is a combination drying/ woodworking/toy storage and rebuild.. have made many pieces of furniture out there during the off season.
the wife has said if there was a bathroom out there i would never come in....

M

majorcatfish

raised bed garden update 6/7/14......
harvested beets/carrots/lettuce/radishes..
as a experiment planted nero<black radish> and watermelon <white outside and red inside> both are a zero imho either they were woody or tasteless, but will try them as a limited crop this fall to give them a second opinion.
once harvesting the first bed planted corn in there.....
by the way the wife is canning and pickling the beets these evening.
DSC_0001.JPG
basil, green onions, last of the springs lettuce and bok choy...
to the right is black summer bok choy and rover red radishes, both beds should ready to harvest at the same time except for the basil and onions which will be planted with corn..
the bed upper left has carrots sprouting...
DSC_0007.JPG
thank goodness for sowing brussel sprouts in the bed ,the ones started indoors never made it. so now instead of 16 now have 27
DSC_0005.JPG
dug up the english thyme and transplanted into its own bed, the organo has free reign in that bed once the basil and orange thyme is done this season....
DSC_0002.JPG
will have a couple more harvests of our spinach before they go south for the season....
DSC_0004.JPG
of course the yellow wax beans are up..
DSC_0002 - Copy.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
M

majorcatfish

main garden....
proof i have a eggplant..
DSC_0008.JPG
all the bell peppers are loaded .....red/yellow/green
DSC_0013.JPG
looks like chili rellenos in the near future...
DSC_0009.JPG
fooled you jalapeno.no heat just the falvor....
DSC_0015.JPG
sweet heat... spicey bell pepper
DSC_0020.JPG
tomatoes...
reaching for the sky..
DSC_0023.JPG
every plant loaded...
DSC_0022.JPG
did have to spray blossom rot <liquid calcium> on them today found a couple with rot.....oh my the plants are loaded with flowers ....
oh yes fried green tomatoes/green tomato relish/stewed tomatoes......yum..
had to break out the tow behind sprayer to apply the calcium and fungicide for the tomatoes and potatoes......

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Majorcatfish, your harvest looks beautiful, especially the beets. I am going to give beets another try this fall. Maybe the third time will be a charm.:)

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Majorcatfish, WOW! Everything in your garden looks GREAT! I need to fertilize tomorrow, too. And water. I'm not sure where our 14 inches of rain went. It simply disappeared. I'll have to make it an early morning in the garden tomorrow to beat the heat. I've got a lot of work to do there and haven't gotten to it due to canning jam and other family activities. I'll let you know how much I get done tomorrow, as I need to make salsa for canning, too.

As for your "hibernation hut" being too hot in the summer... My brother had the same problem with his garage shop. He solved that by installing a window ac unit and running a large fan. He has a heater unit for the winter. Just a thought.

M

majorcatfish

did that about 10 years ago put in a 15k btu unit, works great till the sun starts beating down the shop is not insulated..as for wintertime no problem have a triple burner mr,heater to keep it toasty in there...

M

majorcatfish

Majorcatfish, your harvest looks beautiful, especially the beets. I am going to give beets another try this fall. Maybe the third time will be a charm.:)
since going to raised beds "red ace" beets from johnnys seeds have been very dependable especially as a fall crop
heres a photo from last years final beet harvest 12/1/13....
DSC_0005 (640x426).jpg
the wife canned and pickled some of the beets last night.....
of course we have a draw full for fresh eating as well...
DSC_0001.JPG
this fall going to grow "boldor beets" which are a yellow beet..

also trimmed back the basil....
DSC_0002.JPG

M

majorcatfish

fathers day update..6/15/14
raised beds....
last of the spring crops.lettuce and bok choy..hate to say it ,bok choyed out for the season. once harvested will plant corn and pole beans.
DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG
first round of corn.dang if those birds pull up my corn this year....
DSC_0012.JPG
brussel sprouts are enjoying their space and after a recount have 30 not 27
DSC_0014.JPG
yellow wax beans, after harvesting the last of the spinach today planted another 55 yellow beans in the upper half of the bed
DSC_0015.JPG
carrots are taking their time
DSC_0017.JPG
carrots and red onions
DSC_0018.JPG
yukon potatoes going on 90 days and only a hint of yellow on the lower leaves, will be interesting to see how this years crop compared to last years.
DSC_0016.JPG