• Join Home Gardening Forum

2014 garden

M

Mr_Yan

So what do you do with the bok choy? I have to say I can easily out grow what I know to do with it.

E

ErnieCopp

Major, Are the sllow carrots from the pelleted seed? After learning about those from you i ordered some and they are sure a lot easier to handle, but i only planted one seed to each spot, both beets and carrots, and not only was my carrot sprouting slow, but germination rate is also down from the bare seed. Not sure yet if it because of the fewer seeds per spot, or the heavy coatoing.

How do you find the germination rate to be, how many pellets per spot? I am using Picker boxes for the root vegetables, except for onions, as my ground gets too tight for easy harvest. May try filling each spot with water to help soften the pellet before covering the seed, but no idea whether that will help or not.

Thanks,
Ernie

M

majorcatfish

main garden update 6/15/14
tomatoes... every plant are loaded top to bottom. very impressed with the san marzano this year, the only thing that bothers me is the curling of some of the lower leaves on a few of the plants after reading up had 2 options 1 tomato leaf curl virus or 2 a disorder. after some good csi research it boils down to me using to much nitrogen to early.. also have been spraying the tomatoes and bells every 3-5 days with blossom rot spray which has greatly helped this year....
DSC_0001.JPG fooled you jalapenos, the wife found a stuffed jalapeno recipe with shrimp, bacon,green onion and cheese on pinterest sounds very interesting...DSC_0004.JPG
the eggplants are finally producing ....looks like eggplant parmigiano soon and the wife makes a killer eggplant ragu as well...
DSC_0011.JPG
sweet banana peppers..oh my they are loaded
DSC_0006.JPG sweet cayenne loaded as well DSC_0007.JPG
bell peppers... size of a hardball pictured is a red bell same for the yellows
other photo is todays harvest of green bells
DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0026.JPG
the bintje potatoes. goodness have they grown most of them have fallen over and all health...DSC_0003.JPG
and as for one of this years experiments peanuts.....flop
only 7 come up the rest boiled in the shell from the heat, just might try again next year, but a wee bit earlier, so planted corn in it's place.
DSC_0019.JPG
and the cucumbers
DSC_0024.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
M

majorcatfish

So what do you do with the bok choy? I have to say I can easily out grow what I know to do with it.
hum.. we have a couple friends that live in townhouses that love it so we grow extra for them, but we will make soups, asian dishes, cabbage rolls with the leaves, eat raw the wife has us on a health smoothie that has bok,spinach,basil,mango and yogurt. it's really tasty and that's coming from a meat and potato person....
wonder what she will come up with as a summer crop smoothie ?

M

majorcatfish

Major, Are the sllow carrots from the pelleted seed? After learning about those from you i ordered some and they are sure a lot easier to handle, but i only planted one seed to each spot, both beets and carrots, and not only was my carrot sprouting slow, but germination rate is also down from the bare seed. Not sure yet if it because of the fewer seeds per spot, or the heavy coatoing.

How do you find the germination rate to be, how many pellets per spot? I am using Picker boxes for the root vegetables, except for onions, as my ground gets too tight for easy harvest. May try filling each spot with water to help soften the pellet before covering the seed, but no idea whether that will help or not.

Thanks,
Ernie
yes the pelleted carrots and beets seeds are easier to handle and as well a bit slower to germinate than bare seeds.
what i am about to say works for me in my zone and my garden and the results will vary for everybody. as it did for me this year a cooler than normal spring, so had a poor germination all around...bare and pelleted seeds

my beds are 3' wide so i am able to sow 7-8 wide with the beets which is truly to tight, but with over planting if a seed does not sprout you are able to carefully transplant one into that spot. if they all sprout you are able to cull some out early and have some beet greens or move them at another spot in the garden...

as for pelleted carrots in the spring will plant every 1 seed every inch we like small carrots in the spring. as for fall we space them out to 2-3" apart since we will harvest them over the late fall/ winter..truly you can sow 3 seeds per spot and they will grow just fine.

imho i think that the pelleted seeds need more watering than bare seed and having the right soil temperature for germination.

E

ErnieCopp

Major,
I am not giving up on the pellets yet, by any means. But I am going to put a few in some water and see how long it takes to melt the pellet, and then when i plant, i am going to fill the indentation with water before covering the seed. It is very easy to experiment as my picker boxes {just like Earth Boxes only half the price} are on a table or bench. And then i am going to go back to the way i have to do with my soil for good germination. My soil crusts too bad for some seeds, so i use sifted sand to just cover the seeds, and that seems to keep moisture localized and is easy for the seeds to punch through. I have thought that maybe the potting soil over the seed is not staying moist long enough to dissolve the pellets.

I enjoy learning and solving the problems about as much as any other part of the gardening.

Thanks
Ernie

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Majorcatfish, I'm really impressed with your peppers. What did you do to make them propagate so well?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Catfish, I hope you're just on vacation & not in the hospital or anything like that... I miss your updates.