• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I saw a coon morning, making his way towards the bird feeders. Sorry to say, he had a bad reaction to the lead injection & didn't make it.

Took down, prepped & did the flame thing on 2 more pair of shutters. I'll put the 'ReNew' on them tomorrow.

Cleaned & refilled the hummingbird feeders.

Put out another roll of hay for the cattle. I noticed that another hydraulic cylinder is leaking, so I ordered the rebuild kit for it. It just one thing after another lately...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus, porch pots/baskets, flowerbeds & all trees.

Washed the stone walls behind the shutters. It's amazing how much animal/insect debris accumulates behind them in 20 yrs!!!

Seasoned up some chicken for tonight's supper.

Brought up & cleaned more potatoes for Mrs. Ranch.

It pored the rain about 1500 hrs (1.64"). I'm so glad I watered for 6 hrs...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Update on the coon situation. I've previously wired up the bird feeders to prevent the coons from dropping them to the ground & bending them all up. Ive also raised the varmint shield an additional 4 inches, yet coons are still getting up to the feeders. On the plus side, I did catch a normal-sized on one in the trap last night & dispathed him this morning. I hate coons... I am upping my game tonight.

Did the weekly shopping.

Received another 0.09" of rain about noon time.

Last edited:

Titus Bass

Planting Zone
9A
We have gotten around 2" of rain over the last two days.
I have a couple of sisters I got from the pound, when they were pups. They don't allow no coons in their yard......The coons end up like this one, they leave them on my front porch......

Attachments

• IMG_20220714_043427_2.jpg
    IMG_20220714_043427_2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 1

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Update on the coon situation. I've previously wired up the bird feeders to prevent the coons from dropping them to the ground & bending them all up. Ive also raised the varmint shield an additional 4 inches, yet coons are still getting up to the feeders. On the plus side, I did catch a normal-sized on one in the trap last night & dispathed him this morning. I hate coons... I am upping my game tonight.

Did the weekly shopping.

You need to get one of the new thermal optics. The price has come down a lot over the last 10 years

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I already have one on the McMillan TAC-50, but that would be overkill. Besides, a coon ain't worth $7 a round...

I have other options.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
No coon action last night. I think they're reassessing their chances of survival given that I'm no longer playing games.

Made bread.

Received the hydraulic cylinder rebuild kit & got it installed. Then put the cylinder back on the tractor & ops checked it. We're good to go.

Rehung 2 pair of shutters on the garage after refurb.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
And there's 1 less coon in the world this morning, LOL!!! It's a war of attrition & I don't care how long it takes, I will prevail. (y)

Applied 2 coats of 'ReNew' on the shutters for the front porch after refurb. They'll be ready to rehang in a couple of days. Time to take the next 2 pair down.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
And the body count continues to rise for the destructive invaders, as 2 more bit the dust this morning. Both were good sized & healthy. I haven't had this much fun since the Great Raccoon War of 2011 (53 confirmed kills by Labor Day).

Made bread.

Went to town to pickup a ton of range cubes.

Fed the cattle.

Cut the grass.

Last edited:

Titus Bass

Planting Zone
9A
And the body count continues to rise for the destructive invaders, as 2 more bit the dust this morning. Both were good sized & healthy. I haven't had this much fun since the Great Raccoon War of 2011 (53 confirmed kills by Labor Day).

Made bread.

Went to town to pickup a ton of range cubes.

Fed the cattle.

Cut the grass.
Keep piling them up...........

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
No coon action last night.

Went to town to get my haircut & do the weekly shopping.

Seasoned up a pork sirloin roast for supper.

Put out another roll of hay for the cattle.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
No coon action last night.

Watered the garden, asparagus, flowerbeds, porch posts, hanging baskets & all the trees/lirope. It's been 100 + degrees everyday with no relief in sight...

Took down 2 more pairs of shutters for refurb. Got them cleaned & then heat treated them. Ready for 2 coats of 'ReNew'.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
No coons...

Fed the cattle & put out another roll of hay.

Applied 2nd coat of 'ReNew' on the shutters so they'll be ready to rehang tomorrow.

Took down 2 more pair of shutters for refurb. I'm rolling right along on this project.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
No coons... I took this lull in the battle to do some repairs to the traps & to paint them. I'll put them back in service tomorrow.

Made bread.

Hung 3 pair of shutters.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's as dry as a bone here, so I went to turn on the irrigation water only to find that I have a 'fountain' were there wasn't one before. AGHHHH!!! After replacing the bad section of pipe, we were back in business & I finally got the garden, asparagus, flowerbeds, porch posts, hanging baskets & all the trees/lirope watered.

I come into the house only to have Mrs Ranch tell me her fancy washing machine won't run. AGHHHH again!!! Troubleshot it to a defective lid latch, thanks to it throwing an error code. I ordered the part from Amazon & told her she isn't doing laundry until Wednesday. This just has been one of those days...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Harvested the last 26 spaghetti squash, bringing our total for the season to 66. Also harvested some jalapenos & green peppers.

Baked a birthday cake for our neighbor.

Seasoned up beef fajita meat & got the onions/green peppers ready for grilling. I'll make the rice later. Now its time to finish the pinto beans from yesterday. Supper is going to be great!!!

Received the part to fix Mrs. Ranch's washing machine. After installing it, the ops check was good.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Refilled the redbird feeders.

Washed the 2 pair of shutters that I took down the other day.

Washed, sharpened & applied acid to the last 2 shovels in preparation for refurb. When dry, i applied 2 coats of paint to the handles. I'll paint the shovel heads in a few days.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Herd reduction day... loaded up 1/3 of the herd this morning. I hate to have to do this, but hay is going to be an major issue this year & figured I'd do it now, before it dawns on everybody else & they flood the market.

Fed the remaining cattle.

Work on heat treating the shutters.

Titus Bass

Planting Zone
9A
Herd reduction day... loaded up 1/3 of the herd this morning. I hate to have to do this, but hay is going to be an major issue this year & figured I'd do it now, before it dawns on everybody else & they flood the market.

Fed the remaining cattle.

Work on heat treating the shutters.
Yeah.....with drought and feed / hay prices the market will get flooded..............

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to town to pickup another ton of feed. Then went to the bank & did the weekly shopping.

Continued heat treating the shutters.

Last edited: