• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Woke up to 9 degrees & 3" of snow/ice. It's up to 22 degrees with sunny skies. The sun is causing havoc with the greenhouse temperature, so I turned off the circuit breaker for the heater & blocked open one of the doors a couple of inches. When I turned to go back to the house, I went down hard on the concrete ramp... I hurt now.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Woke up to 8 degrees this morning & the stock tanks are now covered with ice. This sucks.

Made bread.

Cleaned & oiled 1 of my Ruger 10-22s. Then replaced the batteries in the integrated laser while I had the stock off. Also replaced the batteries in the red dot scope.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
One frozen water line that runs to a spigot on the north wall of the house. Trying to thaw it out now to avoid disaster. Septic system tripped, I think the pump tried to turn on and the irrigation heads were frozen. Plenty to do today.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Woke up to 30 degrees & more ice... It's up to 33 now.

Made a carrot cake for my neighbors down the road. The schools here have been closed, so I thought they would need some cheer.

Watered the flats in the greenhouse.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping... I didn't want to, as it was a nasty 32 degrees. Stores were pretty much wiped out as there have been no deliveries.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It was 20 degrees this morning & all I can say is that this is getting old... currently it is 42 & the USPS & UPS is still not delivering.

Made bread.

Made stuffed jalapenos.

Cleaned & refilled the redbird feeders. Also put up another suet block for them.

Watered the flats & spider plants in the greenhouse.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It was 20 degrees this morning & is currently 57... at least it is heading in the right direction.

Watered the hanging baskets & the flats in the greenhouse.

Fed the cattle & put out hay.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I escaped the polar storm without any major issues. A few plants froze even though they were covered up pretty well. Heck, this one plant froze that I had wrapped in some scrap R13 insulation. Just sitting back and watching the show now- the lack of common sense out there is a little depressing.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b

Seasoned up & smoked a sirloin for supper.

Finally started getting deliveries again... Replaced all the smoke detectors & then replaced the optical drive in my computer before doing a backup.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
It's been 9 days since waking up after the freeze. Power went out on Sunday Feb 14th at 4:27 am.

Hot water pipes connected to the Bosch tankless water heater blew to shreds. The installers used the white PVC instead of the yellow CPVC for hot water. They wrap insulation , So I would of never knew until' this blow out. It's a mess. Managed to get all parts when there was none what so ever at the local supplies places, only because one of my neighbor is relatives of Northwest Plumbing. My son stepped up and knew how to work with PEX pipes and equiptments and tools were available. Fix one pipe, the other blew. Total was 4 areas. ALL are fix. Ready to turn the water well breakers on. The small PLASTIC pipe internal piece in side the Tankless is cracked. Call Bosch to over night the piece . Paid overnight fees. They messed up and have it on 2 nd day delivery. God!! how hard is that?

Made it out to our facilities. Plenty of damaged. Not important at the moment. Trying to get the house back to normalcy. I have taken in 2 grandma's during the last week. They had no power at their home. My generator did the job to keep everyone warm. In laws came over as well. It was like I had the whole Noah's Ark over here. Bosch parts should be here tomorrow, hopefully. Brand new !! only 2 years old. Had 2 put in. Now, Bosch warrantee won't cover it. Key word as to why ; " Freeze" I'll circle back to that later. Stay away from Bosch tankless water heaters folks ! Photo's of the ceiling at one of the ASC.

1614107216981.png
1614107252960.png
1614107284882.png

1614107307569.png

1614107325842.png

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Started trimming up the Lirope around the trees. I hope it comes back... Lots of stuff got hurt in the flowerbeds, there's no telling what's dead & what's not at this point.

Cleaned & oiled another of my Ruger 10-22's as I finally receives a magazine catch spring that needed to be replaced after 4 decades. I ops checked it on a squirrel that was under the bird feeders, LOL!!!

Ordered 10 more Magpul 30-round polymer magazines.

Last edited:

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Wow!!! That IS a mess!!! We hope everything gets back to normal for you & your family soon.

Yes Sir ! Thank you Ranch. Just waiting on this part from Bosch and the house would be good.

I took this opportunity to learn about PEX and Sharkpite stuff. Good stuff. Hope you and everyone are doing well.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Started milling another project.

Fed cattle & put out hay.

Continued trimming up the Lirope around the trees.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished building the lowers, then started building the uppers.

Replaced a ram disk in Mrs. Ranch's computer, then did the monthly maintenance & backups.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Bought an old John Deere tractor that I’m going to fit up for forklift duty for the business. This thing is nearly as old as I am, but they just don’t build them this way anymore. This is some old school, raw horsepower. I’m going to spend quite a bit of time going through it and doing all the maintenance and fixing that needs to be done.

83B6C3D3-D623-47E9-81E3-01B476BC12D5.jpeg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished building the uppers & mated them up. Installed the red dot scopes & bore sighted them in. I'll do the ops check & finish sighting them in when the city people go home.

Made Dieter a whole eye-of-round for his treats.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cut Dieter's meat into snack-sized cubes & vacuum packed it.

Fed the cattle & put out another roll of hay.

Refilled redbird feeders.

Did a temporary fix of the flag pole at guesthouse. Then ordered new swivels to fix it permanently.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Made old fashion southern fruit cocktail bread pudding with a bourbon sauce for dessert tonight. What the hell, you only live once...

Cleaned the fan in the greenhouse & garage.

Started the 'begining-of-the-month' chores.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Culled the tomatoes & peppers in the greenhouse, selecting the strongest plants. Then watered everything.

Started repotting the 'Texas Star' hibiscus that I started last December (they're about 12" tall now & starting to branch out). Got 7 of the 10 done before running out of my potting mix.

I received & installed the machined swivels for the flag over the guest house entry.

Continued trimming up the Lirope around the trees.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked up a load of cattle feed & did the weekly shopping.

Finished repotting the last 3 'Texas Star' hibiscus.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished trimming up the Lirope around the trees.

Watered the flats & the spider plants in the greenhouse.

Last edited: