• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Warmed up to 68, so I planted the onion sets. I got half a row done, only to find out that I need 2 more bundles... Apparently the number of onions in a bundle has decreased a lot, as there were less that 50 in each bundle instead of the normal 75. The kicker was that they also went up in price, from $1.99 to $2.99). That is a real life inflation rate of 126.13%.

Fed the cattle.

Last edited:

Titus Bass

Planting Zone
9A
Warmed up to 68, so I planted the onion sets. I got half a row done, only to find out that I need 2 more bundles... Apparently the number of onions in a bundle has decreased a lot, as there were less that 50 in each bundle instead of the normal 75. The kicker was that they also went up in price, from $1.99 to $2.99). That is a real life inflation rate of 126.13%.

Fed the cattle.
Getting close to that ole saying about, can't afford to pay attention.......

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Put out another roll of hay for the cattle, as they blew through the last one.

Received another 0.18" of rain.

Last edited:

Titus Bass

Planting Zone
9A
We received 0.43" of rain yesterday, so I spent the day whittling a walking stick.

Last night it rained another 0.85" but at least it's a sunny 62 degrees. There standing water everywhere...
We got a little over 5" in the last 2 days. I think they can lift our burn ban now................

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Bought a Bose sound bar for Mrs. Ranch for Christmas.

Cubed up & browned a thick sirloin to make stew for tonight's supper.

Mrs. Ranch & I got the small Christmas tree setup.

Replaced the AA batteries in the temperature transmitter/receiver units in the greenhouse.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Wow!!! Want another example of inflation??? I just ordered 24 AA lithium batteries as we're low & they were $63.99. I last purchased them in Feb of this year & the price then was $31.97... that is a real life inflation rate of 100.16%.

Did the weekly shopping (3 stores). I did manage to get everything on the list.

Fed cattle & put out another roll of hay.

Last edited:

Titus Bass

Planting Zone
9A
Wow!!! Want another example of real life inflation??? I just ordered 24 AA lithium batteries as we're low & they were $63.99. I last purchased them in Feb of this year & the price then was $31.97... that is an inflation rate of 100.16%.
Prices have gotten unbelievable. I think some are legit and there is some gouging going on.........

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to pickup another ton of cattle feed.

Fed the cattle.

Fixed our mailbox as someone hit it. GRRRR.

Vacuum packed the steaks I bought yesterday.

Met with Big Tex Tree Service about taking out all the dead trees & trimming the rest of them so the branches don't contact the tractor's roof . They'll start tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Big Tex sent a 6 man crew out bright & early, with all the necessary equipment. Trees started coming down at 0830 hrs. They also have a big wood chipper truck to dispose of all the branches (so I don't have to burn them). The 'big stuff' is cut for BBQ/firewood, so if anyone wants some, let me know (100% post oak). They got 10 good sized trees done today.

Planted 2 more bundles of onions.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Tree crews are in the back pastures & it's too cold to take a ride. Maybe later when I feed the cattle...

Watered everything in the greenhouse.

Finished my walking stick. I can't wait to see how it works on the first armadillo (cheaper than a bullet), LOL!!!

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Big Tex sent a 6 man crew out bright & early, with all the necessary equipment. Trees started coming down at 0830 hrs. They also have a big wood chipper truck to dispose of all the branches (so I don't have to burn them). The 'big stuff' is cut for BBQ/firewood, so if anyone wants some, let me know (100% post oak). They got 10 good sized trees done today.

Planted 2 more bundles of onions.
Trade you some mesquite for some post oak

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Sure thing!!! It's unsplit, just so you know. Bring about a 55G drum's worth & you can have all the post oak you want. Bring a trailer & you'll have enough for the heating season.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread & then made a batch of walnut brownies.

Last 2 dead trees came down this morning. Afterward, they started trimming the remaining trees up in the pastures. They are finished for this year but will be back in the spring to finish trimming the far back pastures & grind the stumps out so I don't have to burn them out.

Mrs. Ranch finish a quilt for the lil' boy down the road so he can stay warm while he's in the deer stand with his dad.

Justin's_Quilt_2022.JPG

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made a spice cake with cream cheese frosting for the kids down the road.

Fed the cattle.

Burned the trash.

Rehung the front yard redbird feeder & suet block (I had to take them down for the tree pruning).

Met with a welder about building a pipe cattle pen to replace the old cedar one. He'll start in a couple of weeks.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cut the grass.

Treated the gopher mounds.

Fed the cattle & put out another roll of hay.

Burn the accumulated 'netting' from the hay bales. Black smoke roll'in!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Looks like the PSU on my computer died, so I will be on the old backup computer until the replacement gets here...

Continued spreading pea gravel on the turnaround in front of the garages.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made 2 loaves of bread.

Watered the garden.

Went to town to refill our small propane tanks.

Fed the cattle.

Started stacking firewood in the racks.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to town to get molasses tubs for the cattle.

Continue spreading pea gravel in front of the garages. Also did the area between the back porch & the stone wall (I did this at Dieter's request as he's 'wiped-out' on the bull-rock more than a few times when it's icy).

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made Chocolate Chip Cherry Bars for dessert.

Harvested all the radish & planted another 15'.

Fed the cattle & put out their molasses tubs.

Stacked another load of firewood in the racks. Then it started to rain, so I'm done for today, it's margarita time.

Mrs. Ranch is doing chicken tenders & roasted red potatoes for supper, so I made a honey mustard dipping sauce.

Last edited: